When software is being installed, the compressed file is copied to the User's %temp% directory, located at C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Local Settings\AppData\Temp. As the compressed file is being processed, the extracted components that make up the software are copied to the hidden directory located at C:\Windows\Installer. The installation process then moves from one component to the next in the C:\Windows\Installer directory. This is called an MSI Chain. When the MSI Chain is corrupt, the installation process fails. Following is the quickest way to resolve this issue:
- Install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
- Open the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility - it is found in the root of Start - Programs - All Programs.
- Scroll down to the Windows Installer Entry that the installation process is failing on. The name of the Windows Installer Entry that must be removed is displayed in the Error 1316 message on screen as well as in the Event Viewer.
- Click Remove and wait a moment.
- Once the entry has been removed, close the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
- Reboot the computer.